The 2011 Nature Conservation Council of NSW Annual Conference was held at the University of Sydney Law School on 29-30 October 2011, including the presentation ceremony for the NSW Environment Awards.
The weekend was an overwhelming success due the hard work of NCC staff, executive, volunteers, guest speakers and member groups. The feedback from conference participants, executive and staff has been overwhelmingly positive. Below are some of the highlights from the conference feedback from members:
- Overall conference: 84% rated as ‘Great’ (highest rating)
- Venue: 84% rated as ‘Great’
- Catering: 70% rated as ‘Great’
- Policy session and discussions useful: 92% said yes
- Workshops useful: 82% said yes
Special guest speakers included The Hon. Luke Foley, MLC, NSW Shadow Minister for the Environment; The Hon. Tim Moore, Co-Chair, NSW Planning System Review; Justin Field, Campaigner and Policy Advisor, The Greens NSW and Penelope Figgis, AO (NSW Environment Awards presenter).
Starting the conference with annual reports from Chairperson, Hon. Treasurer and Chief Executive Officer, member groups had the opportunity to get an overview of the work NCC has undertaken, as well as the current state, and future direction of the organisation.
Nominations were invited for the 2011-2012 Executive. Four sitting members of the executive elected not to stand again, and three new executive members were nominated. The returning officer declared all 11 positions duly elected, with an election not required as nominations were less than the number of available positions (12).
During 2011-2012, NCC welcomed nine new member groups. The Annual Conference confirmed the admission of organisations during 2010/2011 (up until September 2011).
The NCC Annual Conference is an opportunity for member groups to gather from across the state and formulate council policy. It allows member groups to:
- raise issues that other NSW environment groups need to be aware of;
- discuss and debate key environmental policy issues for New South Wales;
- hear NSW politicians from Liberal, Labor and Greens parties outline their commitment to the environment
- participate in practical and informative workshops specially run for Annual Conference participants; and
- celebrate the achievements of conservationists from across the state;
- learn about NCC’s work and achievements over the past year;
- listen to interesting speakers and participate in informative workshops; and
- participate in the 2011 NSW Environment Awards
|2011 Annual Conference Minutes.pdf||202.19 KB|
|2011 Annual Conference Policies - ALL.pdf||562.39 KB|
|2011 Policy E1 - Intrinsic Value of Nature.pdf||111.32 KB|
|2011 Policy E2 - Ecologically Sustainable Population & Nature.pdf||138.48 KB|
|2011 Policy E3 - Forest Policy.pdf||193.79 KB|
|2012 Policy E4 - Water.pdf||458.11 KB|